Monday, August 29, 2011

Tutorial- Chair back storage



Child 1's kindergarten teacher and I have known each other since I was little. She also happens to live down the road and isn't a stranger to Child 1. So I wasn't at all surprised when she asked me if I'd make some bags for the back of the K4 students chairs. The following is how I made them just in case you ever need one. These were made for 11 inch wide kid chairs, but I'm sure you could easily adjust the measurements for a bigger chair. Just at 2 inches to your chairs width make them as long as you like.
What you'll need- Half a yard of fabric, 12 inches of 3/8" elastic, Bias tape
First cut your pieces. You'll need- 1- 14 x 19, 1-14x10, 1-14x6. I added a decorative fabric over my bottom pocket because I didn't have enough to make the entire pocket.
If you have a serger serge the top edges on all 3 pieces. I attached my decorative piece at the same time. If you don't have a serger just zig-zag stitch the edges.
Now hem each edge. I folded them down about half an inch. For the largest piece of fabric this will be your casing.
I used a wider, more noticable stitch for the middle piece so the kids wouldn't have trouble finding the pocket since the fabrics matched.
Now feed your 3/8 inch elastic through your casing.

Next attach your smallest piece to your medium piece by sewing the bottom edges together. You don't have to worry about the raw edge because you'll be covering the sides and bottom with bias tape.




On the smallest piece measure 7 inches in from the side, draw a line from top to bottom here, and sew down the line to create two seperate pockets. I made sure to go over the top of the pocket a few times to reinforce it.
Now take your largest piece and measure eleven inches from the top on each side, and draw a line all the way across. Fold the top down to meet this line, and press with a hot iron to crease the top.
With the top folded down lay your top two pieces on top as shown in the picture, or if you plan to put bias tape around the bottom you can just attach all the raw edges. I HATE the possibility of any strings showing so I chose to flip the raw edges to the inside.

My fabric is a heavier canvas and the strings were really bothering me so I chose to run the edges through the serger. You don't have to do this, but I recomend stitching your sides together at this point so it's easier to put the bias tape on.
To finish it off just sew on the bias tape. Make sure you keep the back piece folded under, and pull the front pockets tight.










No comments:

Post a Comment